Clickable AggieBuy logo image.
Clickable AggieShip logo image.
Clickable AggieTravel logo image.
Clickable AggieSurplus logo image.
AggieSupply logo image.
Clickable icon to contact staff.

UC Davis Travel Visa Card: Best Practices

Outlined below are common scenarios related to the use of the UC Davis Travel Card and the best practices we recommend adhering to.

  • Cash Advances or Pre-Trip Payments
  • 1. Use Travel Card: If paying for a travel or entertainment expense in advance of the trip or event, and the vendor accepts credit cards, it is highly recommended that you use your Travel card.
    > Payment transactions load into AggieTravel as an imported expense.
    > If greater than two weeks from the trip or event, you can reconcile the expense in AggieTravel, so U.S. Bank is paid right away.

    2. Cash Advances: Available using your Travel card just like an ATM card at a bank.
    > Be sure to save your PIN number from when you originally received the card.
    > If you lost your PIN, contact U.S. Bank at the number printed on the back of the card to request a new PIN.
    > Cash Advances will load into AggieTravel just like other card transactions, and can be reconciled on a Travel or Entertainment report.
    > If a portion of your advance is unused at the end of the trip or event, you should reconcile the remaining amount as a Personal expense and then remit payment to U.S. Bank directly for that amount.

    4. Most banks will provide larger cash advances if you go inside the bank, rather than use the ATM machines.

    5. If you need your cash advance limit increased, contact the Travel Help Desk at
  • Traveling Overseas
  • 1. Notify the Travel Help Desk: If you plan to travel out of the country, you should notify the Travel Help Desk within 10 business days of your trip.
    > The Travel Help Desk is able to ensure that U.S. Bank has the proper coding on your card to help reduce the chance of a fraud flag.
    > You should also contact U.S. Bank directly, using the number printed on the back of your card.

    2. Chip and Pin: Remember, most other countries utilize the full Chip and Pin technology to reduce fraud.
    > You should make sure to have your PIN # memorized or written in a safe location before traveling abroad.

    3. Register your trip with UC Travel Risk Management.
  • Paying Expenses on Behalf of non-cardholders
  • Under certain circumstances, you are permitted to use your Travel card to make payments on behalf of other travelers, such as non-employees or employees without access to their own Travel card.

    1. All UC Davis employees, if expecting to travel or entertain, should apply for their own Travel card. The most common scenarios include paying for a non-employee’s conference registration, transportation, such as taxi, shuttle, or lodging deposits.
    > If using a preferred provider, using the campus CTS payment method is preferred.
    > Otherwise, using your Travel card is recommended.

    2. If paying for anything other than what is outlined under Paying expenses on behalf of others, an exception is required.

    3. For all circumstances, be sure to include any related report or document keys in your report.
    > Central Travel must be able to see all trip expenses in order to properly audit the report – even if part of the expenses were on another report.
    > Lack of a related report key is one of the most common reasons reports are returned for correction.
  • Reporting a Replacement Card
  • 1. If you lose your card, or you are victim of a fraud, U.S. Bank will issue you a new card.

    2. Upon receipt of your new card, you must notify the Travel Help Desk to associate this new card with your AggieTravel profile.
    > If the card is used before the profile is updated, there may be a delay of one to two business days before your charges are imported into your profile.
    > Send an email to the Travel Help Desk at> Include “Replacement Card” as the subject line.

    3. Always destroy your old card upon activating your new card.
  • If You Move or Change Address
  • 1. Your U.S. Bank Travel card is just like every other credit card in your wallet; if you move, you should immediately notify them of your new address. 
    > The Travel Accounting department does not know if you move, and will not normally report a new address to U.S. Bank.

    2. Failure to update your mailing address can result in lost replacement cards, missing statements, delayed report processing in AggieTravel, and late fees.
  • If one of your Employees Separates from UC Davis
  • 1. You should immediately contact the Travel Help Desk at if an employee separates.

    > The Travel Accounting office will routinely review separated employee lists from PPS and deactivate cards, but this may happen up to 15 business days after an employee separates.
    > Unapproved and/or unreconciled charges on an employee card are the responsibility of the requesting department, so it is vital that separated employee status is reported to the Travel Help Desk as a normal part of off-boarding.
    > It is critical that all expenses are reconciled by the employee before they separate.
  • UC Davis Travel Visa Card Reconciliation Tools
  • There are several resources that can be utilized when identifying information related to the UC Davis Travel card. Please use the tools referenced below in order to provide additional information that you may need in order to reconcile payments.

    U.S. Bank Access Online: Provides up to date information about your Travel card including:
    > Current and past due balance
    > Monthly account statements
    > Transaction details
    > Visit U.S. Bank to register/log in (enter “UOFCA” in the Organization Short Name field to register).

    UC Davis Decision Support (DS) Reports

    418 AggieTravel Unreconciled Card Expenses: Lists charges that imported into AggieTravel but were not paid through this expense application
    > Enter your employee ID in the “Traveler/Submitter ID” field and click “Process Query”
    419 AggieTravel Report Lookup: Lists the status of reports initiated in this expense application
    > Enter the cardholder’s employee ID in the “Traveler/Submitter ID” field and click “Process Query”
    > Select individual reports to review charges including those marked as personal