There are significant insurance concerns with chartering a bus. In order to ensure that your chartered bus meets all necessary minimum required insurance amounts, please carefully review and follow the instructions outlined on this page.
What is a Charter Bus?
A charter bus:
- is usually a large coach-style bus that holds 50 or more people
- generally includes a driver as part of the agreement
- transports a group of people, often university employees or students (or both), to a pre-defined location as part of a larger activity, such as an athletic game or academic event
Authorized Charter Bus Companies/Agreements
Because of the number of people being transported, as well as the long distances often traveled by chartered buses, there are multiple insurance concerns. Our UC Davis Strategic Sourcing unit has worked with the following companies to create university agreements that meet the minimum required insurance amounts. We strongly recommend using one of these companies to meet your charter bus needs and ensure your bus travel is properly insured.
|Bus Company||Agreement Number|
|Arjuna Transportation, LLC||A65727|
|Lux Bus America Co||A60453|
Instructions for Bus.com Transactions
To get a quote/ booking:
- Visit Bus.com and provide the agreement number above to see the specific rates for UC Davis, or
- Call (855) 428-7266, and advise the customer service representative that you are with UC Davis, and provide the agreement number to receive UC Davis rates.
- Contact Steve Exell at Stephen.email@example.com or 514-591-7784.
Paying for Authorized Charter Buses
A university Travel Card is the appropriate way to pay for a charter bus for which there is already an established university agreement.
When using the Travel Card, be sure you also advise the bus company of the relevant agreement number.
If you do not have a Travel Card, or someone in your department is unable to use their Travel Card, please contact the Travel Help Desk for assistance.
Using Another Charter Bus Company
If you are unable to use one of the existing charter bus agreements listed above, you will need to do the following:
1. Complete a Purchase Agreement document in the Kuali Financial System (KFS), using the No Cost Agreement-Other type of agreement. Before submitting the document, complete steps 2 and 3 below.
2. In the Notes and Attachments section of the KFS Purchase Agreement document, attach the agreement, including any terms and conditions documents, for the bus company that are to be reviewed and signed by a buyer on the Procurement & Contracting Services team.
3. Contact UC Davis Risk Management Services to inquire about the necessary insurance required for your charter bus transportation. Work with the supplier to secure the necessary insurance certificates and attach them to the Notes and Attachments section.
4. The Purchase Agreement document will route to Procurement & Contracting Services for review and approval.
5. Once the Purchase Agreement document is approved, the document initiator will be notified in KFS.
6. A Travel Card can then be used to pay for the charter bus service. Make sure you advise the company of the relevant agreement number.
Reconciling Expense in AggieExpense
When reconciling a charter bus expense in AggieExpense, be sure to enter the university agreement number of the charter bus company in the Comment field of your travel report.