New to Travel
Are you a new employee looking for information on how to travel at UC Davis? Or a current employee looking for a refresher on important steps to ensure successful travel? This page will provide guidelines and best practices to get you started.
Familiarize Yourself with Travel Policy
Before traveling on behalf of the university it is important to familiarize yourself with applicable policies and regulations. All university paid travel, regardless of payment method, is subject to IRS tax laws and UC policies. Failure to follow university policies can result in additional taxable income on your paycheck and/or out-of-pocket expenses not being reimbursed.
Sign up for Direct Deposit for any personal or out-of-pocket reimbursements
AggieTravel uses the same information you set up at UC Path as your primary payroll direct deposit account. Be sure to enroll in direct deposit there first.
Complete Travel Card Training and Application
The UC Davis Visa Travel Card is a university-sponsored card issued to UC Davis employees who travel or entertain on behalf of the university. It is expected that all travel or entertainment charges which are allowed on a Visa should be charged to your UC Davis Travel card. If you are going to travel or entertain, be sure you have your card ahead of time!
Set up Profile in AggieTravel
- Prior to booking any travel or entertainment, complete all the required fields in your AggieTravel profile.
- Be sure to validate the email address in your profile.
Download Concur Mobile App
- The SAP Concur mobile app is a simple, secure tool that lets you manage travel expenses from your smartphone or tablet.
- Includes ability to take photos of your receipts on-the-fly.
- Registration is required prior to use.
Add Delegates in AggieTravel, if applicable
- The Delegates feature allows an employee (delegate) to act on behalf of another traveler (delegator) to prepare their expense reports.
- Even if you have a delegate prepare your report, all employees must submit their own reports.
Add Personal Car for mileage reimbursements
Identifying a personal car in your AggieTravel profile is required for mileage reimbursement. There are different rates for travel versus relocation.
Booking through AggieTravel
- Booking airfare, car rentals, and lodging can been done directly in AggieTravel.
- BCD Travel is the travel agency that handles the airfare booking.
- Airfare expenses will import into AggieTravel as a CTS (Preferred Booking Program) expense and will need to be reconciled on an AggieTravel Expense Report.
- Car rental and Lodging expenses should be paid to the merchant using your UC Davis Travel Visa card.
Learn about the Preferred Booking Program (PBP)
- The PBP direct billing system (also referred to as CTS) allows for booking directly through AggieTravel, arranging catering through the campus Olive & Vine Catering, and booking local hotels.
- Booking a local hotel through the PBP – the Preferred Booking Program Hotel Reservation form will need to be filled out and provided to the hotel. Applicable usually for guests coming to the University.
- Travelers are encouraged to become familiar with the destination country’s entry requirements, travel advisories, and other pertinent information, available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website.
- Always check with Global Affairs first before initiating any international travel, to comply with additional regulations and safety concerns.
All foreign travel is currently prohibited (see Global Affairs).
Keep your receipts as appropriate
- Th easiest way to keep a receipt is to capture it with the Concur app.
- A valid receipt contains amount, date, place of purchase, identification of what was purchased, and proof of payment.
- When a receipt is required:
- Car Rental
- Conference Registration
- All other expenses totaling $75 or more
Reports must be submitted within 45 calendar days in AggieTravel
- Reports must be submitted 45 calendar days from trip end date or event date.
- Trip expenses become taxable if the report is not submitted within 60 calendar days of the trip end date – even if paid for with the Travel card or Preferred Booking Program.
- ConnexUC is a secure web portal with access to UC’s systemwide Travel Program, comprehensive rates and benefits for anyone affiliated with UC.
- Travel Arranger – this option allows for others to book travel arrangements on your behalf.