Instructions for purchasing airfare:
Employee Airline Reservations
- Always use AggieTravel when possible.
- Use the CTS (direct bill) payment option, your Travel card, or your personal credit card to purchase.
- All guest airfare should be purchased through AggieTravel and direct billed to the CTS billing option.
- Always use a valid non-employee ID when booking.
- All trips purchased through AggieTravel are automatically registered.
- Remember to register trips purchased elsewhere directly with UC Away.
|Book with Connexxus partners
- The travel agencies within the Connexxus program offer access to the university’s negotiated travel rates with airlines, cars and hotels.
- For guest travelers (non-employees), see Non-Employee Airline Reservations below.
- Fly direct when possible.
- Chartered flights require pre-approval from the Chancellor.
- Private aircraft operated by UC employees (or family) require pre-approval from the Chancellor.
|Business or First Class
- The cost of airfare should be the lowest available commensurate with the requirements and itinerary of the trip.
- These airfares always require an exception to policy and are only permitted in the following circumstances:
- Lowest cost
- Circuitous routing
- Red eye flights with required work upon arrival
- See the Airfare Exception form (PDF) for more details
|Cancellation & Refunds
- Balance the chance that a trip will be canceled or changed to a different date against achievable savings from using penalty and non-refundable fares.
- Trip cancellation insurance should only be purchased if non-refundable airfare is significantly less expensive and there is a high likelihood of the trip being canceled.
- Refundable airfare is allowed, but the most economical airfare should be selected in most cases.
- Points and mile redemptions are not reimbursable.
- Package airfare, lodging, and/or car rental deals are not permitted.
- When working with a travel agency, advise the agent when you are flexible about your departure and return times to increase your likelihood of getting an economical fare.
- When working with a local travel agent, request that your travel be paid with the campus CTS Account or your Travel card to eliminate the need for you to spend your own money out-of-pocket.
- Paid receipts are required for all airfare and must show the amount paid, the departure dates, locations, and class of service.
- All airfare should be reconciled through AggieTravel within 45 days of the trip’s end date.
- If using the CTS payment option, airfare can be reconciled in advance of the trip.
- Questions about exceptions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org – include the report name, key, traveler name, and detailed explanation of question or request.
Non-Employee Airline Reservations
When using the CTS direct bill option for guest travelers, university employees should make airline reservations for all guests traveling on behalf of the university using AggieTravel. Simply choose the Book for a Guest option. Due to heightened security and access controls, guest’s access to book their own travel directly with BCD is being restricted.
If the guest needs to make a change to their itinerary, they may contact BCD Travel directly by phone (877-885-8632 option 3). Please note: all applicable fees will be charged.
Alternatively, guests may make their own airline reservations and receive reimbursement after the conclusion of the trip. Please ensure trips booked outside of BCD Travel are registered with UC Away.