Clickable AggieBuy logo image.
Clickable AggieShip logo image.
Clickable AggieTravel logo image.
Clickable AggieSurplus logo image.
AggieSupply logo image.
Clickable icon to contact staff.


This page provides an overview on Lodging expenses for trips both inside and outside the United States.

  • CONUS (within the continental United States) travel is limited to actual lodging expenses for trips less than 30 days.
  • OCONUS (outside the continental United States, including Alaska, Hawaii, and U.S. territories) travel allows up to the maximum stated limits, as published by the Department of State, for all foreign travel and domestic travel exceeding 30 days.

Topic Conditions/Instructions
Expense Limits
  • Actual Lodging: Expenses may be claimed up to $275 per night (not including taxes and fees), with required receipts.
  • Host Gift: When staying at a friend or relative's house, the traveler may compensate the host with a non-cash gift, up to $75 per trip. Receipts for host gifts exceeding $25 are required.
Rates & Agreements
  • Check Hotel Agreements: A list of hotels with which the University of California currently has agreements.
  • Compare rates: In the absence of UC hotel agreements, shop AggieTravel to compare hotels' rates for the best deals. When comparing rates, review the entire package.
  • Book in advance: Making hotel reservations as far in advance as possible ensures that a room is available and at the best rate.
  • Ask about specials: Where appropriate, inquire about weekly rates or weekend specials. The university has a policy of paying additional expenses associated with travel extended to save costs (e.g., a Saturday night stay for domestic travel may be reimbursed when the resulting airfare savings are sufficient to offset all other expenses incurred for the extended stay).
  • Consider Location: Depending on the hotel's location and whether it has a shuttle service you may be able to eliminate the need for a rental car. Forgoing a rental car would also save on parking fees and gas.
Sharing a Room

University travelers may share a room (if they choose) and have a couple of options to pay for their stay:

  • Have the hotel split the bill and each traveler pays their own portion.
  • One traveler pays for the entire room and roommates reference how their hotel stay was paid on their own travel reports.
  • In the case of Group Travel, the group leader pays for the room (group lodging applies when the group leader pays for the whole group's hotel rooms).
Daily Limits
  • The maximum stated limits, as published by the Department of State, are authorized for all OCONUS travel and CONUS travel assignments exceeding 30 days.
  • UC Davis adheres to the U.S. Department of State's daily allowances. 
  • The rates listed on the Office of Allowances website are the maximum that can be authorized for lodging. 
  • Receipts are not required when claiming foreign lodging.

Lodging reservations should be made through AggieTravel, which includes the university discounts and agreement terms.

When using Aggietravel, pay with a Travel Card or your personal credit card.


Many hotels accept the Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF).
This saves the university money by granting a tax exception to university travelers on official university business.

  • Always take a Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) with you when traveling.
  • At check-in, present the completed form to the front desk clerk (they will let you know whether or not the form is accepted at their hotel).
Processing Payment

Lodging expenses require a paid, itemized receipt for reimbursement—an itemized receipt will show that only lodging expenses were charged to the hotel stay.

The payment procedure depends on how the reservation was secured:

  • UC Davis Travel Visa card: Submit an AggieTravel expense report. Accounts Payable pays the Travel card 
  • Out of Pocket: After the trip, submit an AggieTravel expense report requesting reimbursement for lodging.
  • KFS: If the traveler does not qualify for a Travel card, a KFS DV TEV may be processed to pay the vendor directly. Include the KFS Document number in the AggieTravel report submitted when the traveler returns.
Conferences If you need lodging for a department-hosted conference or meeting, review the Hosting a Conference page for information and instructions.