- Actual Lodging: Expenses may be claimed up to $275 per night (not including taxes and fees), with required receipts.
- Host Gift: When staying at a friend or relative's house, the traveler may compensate the host with a non-cash gift, up to $75 per trip. Receipts for host gifts exceeding $25 are required.
|Rates & Agreements
- Check Hotel Agreements: A full list of hotels with which the University of California currently has agreements.
- Compare rates: In the absence of UC hotel agreements, shop AggieTravel to compare hotels' rates for the best deals. When comparing rates, look at the whole package.
- Book in advance: Making hotel reservations as far in advance as possible ensures that a room is available and at the best rate.
- Ask about specials: Where appropriates, inquire about weekly rates or weekend specials. The university has a policy of paying additional expenses associated with travel extended to save costs (e.g., a Saturday night stay for domestic travel may be reimbursed when the resulting airfare savings are sufficient to offset all other expenses incurred for the extended stay).
- Consider Location: Depending on the hotel's location and whether it has a shuttle service you may be able eliminate the need for a rental car. Forgoing a rental car would also save on parking fees and gas.
|Sharing a Room
University travelers may share a room (if they choose) and have a couple of options to pay for their stay:
- Have the hotel split the bill and each traveler pays their own portion.
- One traveler pays for the entire room and roommates reference how their hotel stay was paid on their won travel reports.
- In the case of Group Travel, the group leader pays for the room (group lodging applies when the group leader pays for the whole group's hotel rooms).
- The maximum stated limits, as published by the Department of State, are authorized for all OCONUS travel and CONUS travel assignments exceeding 30 days.
- UC Davis adheres to the U.S. Department of State's daily allowances.
- The rates listed on the Office of Allowances website are the maximum that can be authorized for lodging.
- Receipts are not required when claiming foreign lodging.
Lodging reservations should be made through AggieTravel, which has the university discounts and agreement terms built in.
When using Aggietravel, pay with a Travel Card or your personal credit card.
Many hotels accept the Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF).
This saves the university money by granting a tax exception to university travelers on official university business.
- Always take a Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) with you when traveling.
- At check-in, present the completed form to the front desk clerk (they will let you know whether or not the form is accepted at their hotel).
Lodging expenses require a paid, itemized receipt for reimbursement—an itemized receipt will show that only lodging expenses were charged to the hotel stay.
The payment procedure depends on how the reservation was secured:
- UC Davis Travel Visa card: Submit an AggieTravel expense report. Accounts Payable pays the Travel card
- Out of Pocket: After the trip, submit an AggieTravel expense report requesting reimbursement for lodging.
- KFS: If the traveler does not qualify for a Travel card, a KFS DV TEV may be processed to pay the vendor directly. Include the KFS Document number in the AggieTravel report submitted when the traveler returns.
||If you need lodging for a department-hosted conference or meeting, review the Hosting a Conference page for information and instructions.