Clickable AggieBuy logo image.
Clickable AggieShip logo image.
Clickable AggieTravel logo image.
Clickable Aggie Logistics logo image.
Clickable icon to contact staff.

Ground Transportation

Ground transportation includes all forms of non-air transportation, including car rentals, taxis, personal cars, trains, and buses.

This category also includes emergency repairs to university vehicles, tolls, and parking fees. 

General Guidelines

  • Travelers must always choose the most economical mode of transportation.
  • If travelers choose to drive when flying commercially is more economical, the lesser of the two costs will be reimbursed.
  • Motorcycles are not permitted.
  • Rental car agreements should be used when appropriate.

Car Rentals


  • Use AggieTravel to reserve rental cars.
  • Use one of the UC car rental agreements whenever possible.
  • Use your Travel card to pay for rental cars, especially when renting in Alaska, Hawaii, U.S. possessions (OCONUS) and foreign countries because insurance is included. If you do not have a Travel card, you may claim reimbursement for insurance costs on OCONUS and foreign rental cars. 
  • The traveler is responsible for obtaining the best available rate commensurate with the requirements of the trip.

Travelers may rent up to an intermediate size car. If larger than intermediate size is used, provide a business justification and select option #3. Upgraded Service in the AggieTravel expense claim:

class of service screenshot

  • The report will automatically route for exception approval.
  • If the justification is missing or insufficient the expense may be non-reimbursable.
  • A detailed receipt is required for reimbursement.
  • Best Practices (PDF)

Personal Cars

  • Reimbursement is based on mileage driven and the current IRS mileage rates, not actual expenses such as gasoline.
  • Personal insurance is required if driving your own car on UC business, see G-28 for specific limits.
  • Exact addresses are required in most cases, unless unattainable or withheld due to legitimate confidentiality reasons.
  • Only the driver may claim reimbursement for mileage.
  • For recurring trips, reimbursement claims must be filed at least monthly.

Please review the Remote Work Guidelines for guidance on the appropriate starting address. 

Taxis, Shuttles, and Public Transportation

  • Taxis, shuttles, public transportation, and ride share services (Lyft and Uber) are all allowed.
  • Reasonable tips and gratuity are permitted.
  • Limousine or car service is only permitted with appropriate business justification.
  • Receipts are required for any expense $75 or higher.

Parking and Tolls

  • Parking expenses are permitted.
  • Tolls are permitted.
  • Receipts are required for any expense $75 or higher.