As part of onboarding suppliers, we require a W-9 from anyone that we add to the supplier database.
This not only covers any potential tax requirements, but it assists us in validating identity and ensuring that we do not duplicate records. The Vendor Desk will ask the supplier/individual for a W-9 when a new record is added.
- Department creates a new vendor request.
- The Vendor Desk will approve the request as inactive, until the W-9 has been received from the vendor; the initiator will receive the FYI.
- The Vendor Desk will send a request to the vendor, with instructions on how to upload the W-9.
- When the vendor uploads the W-9, the Vendor Desk will update the record and activate it.
- The original initiator will receive an FYI that the vendor is now active and ready to be used.
If you prefer visual aids, we also have a flow chart (PDF) of the process.
Receiving a W-9
While it is preferable that the Vendor Desk requests the W-9 from the vendor/individual, we understand that there are situations where it is easier and more comfortable for the payee if the department collects the W-9. Examples are Human Subjects and speakers receiving Honoraria payments. In these cases, you can assist with the Vendor W-9 Upload Form.
You will need a vendor ID from KFS, so it is best if you can process the vendor request in advance. Just make note on the vendor request that you will be receiving the W-9 in person, so we do not also request it.
Remember that W-9 with social security numbers are personal information that requires protection. If you have been provided a W-9 by an individual, once it is uploaded make sure it is destroyed or securely stored. We recommend that you consult with your local technical support to ensure that any electronic W-9 files have been appropriately secured or destroyed.
If you have any questions about vendor onboarding or W-9 requirements, contact Procurement Operations & Supplier Maintenance at email@example.com.