Clickable AggieBuy logo image.
Clickable AggieShip logo image.
Clickable AggieTravel logo image.
Clickable AggieSurplus logo image.
AggieSupply logo image.
Clickable icon to contact staff.

Agreement Types

Types of Agreements

  • A. Revenue Agreements
  • Agreements under which UC Davis is receiving money. Examples include arrangements under which UC Davis is providing a service or being reimbursed for staff and faculty salary and benefit costs. The vast majority of service agreements handled by Business Contracts are based on an approved rate or rates; if such, a rate approval letter signed by the requesting department’s dean or vice chancellor must accompany the purchase requisition. Other revenue agreements for campus departments may be directed to Sponsored Programs by BCA.
  • B. Professional Services Agreements (excluding UC Davis Health and School of Medicine)
  • Common examples include licensed professionals such as doctors, attorneys, and CPAs; web designers; and executive search professionals. Because Business Contracts has an obligation to justify that the price to be paid is reasonable, you may be contacted for additional information about the rate or quote provided. NOTE: Independent contractors are often confused with professional service agreement; independent contractors are handled by the Services team. Please refer to BUS 77 for information about independent contractor agreements.  For UC Davis Health and School of Medicine, please contact the UC Davis Health Purchasing Department at 916-734-2475.
  • C. Independent Consultant Agreements (excluding UC Davis Health and School of Medicine)
  • Information on Consultant Agreements is now available on the Consultant Agreement page.  For UC Davis Health and School of Medicine, please contact the UC Davis Health Purchasing Department at 916-734-2475.
  • D. Performance Agreements
  • Performers include musicians, dancers, magicians, disc jockeys, magicians, and lecturers or speakers for the sole purpose of entertainment (not education). Most performance agreements can be completed by the campus department without Business and Revenue Contracts’ involvement. Please refer to the Procurement of Performer Services page. 
  • E. Equipment Loan Agreements
  • Departments receiving equipment from an outside company may use the delegated Equipment Loan Agreement Form unless changes are required, in which case they must be processed through Business Contracts. For situations where a campus department is loaning equipment to another institution, Business Contracts needs to draft an agreement. Please submit a "no cost purchase agreement" via KFS.
  • F. Sponsorship Agreements
  • Agreements under which either a) UC Davis is providing money to another entity in exchange for a benefit or benefits or b) UC Davis is receiving money from another entity in exchange for a benefit or benefits. The benefit(s) should be clearly identified in the Kuali Financial System (KFS) request, either in the “Items” screen or attached to the KFS request. The most common example of a sponsorship benefit is use of sponsor’s name/logo in promotional material recognizing them as a sponsor.  Typically organizations will list sponsorship opportunities and associated sponsorship benefits on their websites and that page can be printed and attached to the KFS request. NOTE: If the university is providing money to an organization for an event and there’s no benefit to the university directly, it is unlikely that a sponsorship agreement is appropriate.  Payment for tickets to events should be paid through Travel; cash donations are processed through Extramural Accounting.
  • G. Executive Search Agreements
  • Agreements with individuals or companies that specialize in recruiting executive personnel. All executive search agreements must be pre-approved by Human Resources.
  • H. Work Study Agreements
  • Agreements under which students employed by outside agencies sanctioned by the university.
  • I. Reimbursements Agreements
  • Agreements under which the university is being reimbursed for use of staff and/or facilities, including faculty, staff & student appointments at other institutions and UC Davis, including Intergovernmental Personnel Act agreements. Reimbursement agreements are entered into in advance of an engagement or use of facilities. Reimbursement agreements should not be confused with confirming agreements, which are agreements that are entered into after an engagement has already taken place. NOTE: Any agreement under which a faculty member will be performing work for another institution must be approved by the Provost’s office before being sent to Business Contracts with documentation of such approval.
  • J. Faculty, staff & student appointments at other institutions and UC Davis (including Intergovernmental Personnel Act agreements)
  • NOTE:  Any agreement under which a faculty member will be performing work for another institution must be approved by the Provost's office before being sent to Business & Revenue Contracts with documentation of such approval.

  • K. Utility Agreements
  • Business Contracts completes agreements for utility services, such as gas and electricity, for the Davis campus. Prior to submitting a request for an agreement, please check KFS to see if there’s already a campus-wide agreement in place for the services and utility provider needed. If an agreement is already in place, your department can pay all invoices against the campus-wide agreement.
  • L. Non-Disclosure & Confidentiality Agreements
  • Such agreements are requested when a company wants UC Davis to perform services (or vice versa) but need to be able to a) discuss a potential project in detail prior to committing to work and b) ensure that any confidential or proprietary information disclosed will not be shared with any other party. Such agreements are not necessary if work is commencing and the other party just wants to ensure confidentialityour standard services agreement contains detailed confidentiality obligations.  NOTE: Non-disclosure or confidentiality agreements pertaining to the purchase of a commodity are processed by Purchasing; those relating to research projects are processed by Sponsored Programs.
  • M. Affiliation Agreements
  • Per UC Davis PPM 210-05, affiliation agreements are agreements between UC Davis and another accredited academic institution under which one party agrees to furnish education, training, or clinical experience that is integral to a specific institutional academic degree or course objective but is not available at the student’s home institution. Business Contracts completes all non-UC Davis Health/School of Medicine/School of Nursing affiliation agreements. Affiliation agreement should not be confused with fellowship agreements, which are processed through Graduate Studies.
  • N. Training (non-academic affiliation)
  • These types of agreements are for UC Davis students and staff to study elsewhere or for non-university individuals to study at UC Davis.
  • O. Animal Loan, Lease, Boarding, and Special Uses Agreements
  • These types of agreements pertain to the loan of animals or for setting up boarding arrangements for animals.
  • P. Land use and facility use agreement/permit
    (for non-exclusive use of and generic access to land or facilities for a period of less than 1 year.)
  • No modifications to land or property should be made. Land/facility use agreements not falling within these parameters should be directed to Real Estate Services.
  • Q. Vendor Supplier Forms
  • Sometimes contractors require that the university sign informational forms that submitted with a request for an agreement. Business Contracts does not need to complete, review or sign documents provided by contractors that are requesting information only; campus departments can complete and sign them. Typically called “New Supplier Forms” or something similar, the documents seek to obtain information about the university or certifications. Example: “Is anyone employed by your company an employee of (insert contractor’s name) or related to an employee of (insert contractor’s name)?”
    Caution: If contractual terms are included on the document, even if by a web link reference, the agreement must be signed by Business Contracts though all information should be completed by the requesting campus department.
  • R. Miscellaneous non-research agreements that require an authorized university signature.
  • Examples include agreements under which the university will have the right to use websites for book sales and rentals, applications for licenses, applications for shipment to embargoed countries, memorandums of understanding (MOUs), etc.