Frequently Asked Questions: Professional Expense Reimbursements in AggieTravel
- Since these expense types are in AggieTravel, is it OK to pay for these out-of-pocket, rather than using established Purchasing processes or my Procurement Card?
- No. Purchasing at UC Davis should always follow proper procedure and systems, which includes AggieBuy, Procurement Card, or a Purchase Order in the Kuali Financial System (KFS). Any out of pocket purchasing of professional expenses is an exception to policy. Reporting these reimbursements through AggieTravel helps track and remedy occurrences of non-compliant purchasing.
- Am I allowed to use my Travel card to purchase professional expenses, which are not related to Travel or Entertainment?
No. Professional expense transactions should be processed through AggieBuy, on a Procurement Card or Purchase Order in KFS.
Exception: Professional Memberships and Certifications are permitted on the Travel card without exception.
- When someone mistakenly uses their Travel card to purchase supplies or other items, should the charges be reconciled using AggieTravel, or should the individual pay U.S. Bank directly, and then seek reimbursement for out of pocket expenses?
- The expense should be reconciled in AggieTravel, AND the cardholder is required to receive an exception to policy for using the Travel card inappropriately (email email@example.com).
- Is this AggieTravel report type intended for out-of-pocket reimbursements, or should it be used to pay for supplies and other items purchased using my Travel card?
- It is only designated for out of pocket reimbursements. The only exception is for Professional Memberships and Certifications.
- Since we can be reimbursed for professional business expenses using AggieTravel, can I use my Travel card to make purchases that I previously made in AggieBuy, on the Procurement Card, or through the KFS purchase order process?
- No. Professional expenses are to be processed using AggieBuy, a Procurement Card, or through a KFS Purchase Order.. Any inappropriate use of the Travel card also requires an exception to policy (email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Does the expense type Non-employee gifts or awards pertain to honoraria?
- No. Honoraria are to be processed in KFS using the Disbursement Voucher (DV) document, type HON. Honoraria are taxable to the recipient, so UC employees should not pay honoraria out of pocket.
- Has this AggieTravel report type replaced employee reimbursements previously done in KFS?
- Will requests for employee reimbursements submitted in KFS be disapproved now that the process is available in AggieTravel?
- Yes, any reimbursements for expense types that are available in AggieTravel will be disapproved in KFS.
- If an employee (non-travel/entertainment) reimbursement exceeds $500, should we still process a confirming order in KFS?
- If the reimbursement request exceeds $500, you will be required to attach a copy of the fully executed Confirming Order Justification (on the Forms page) to the AggieTravel expense report.
- Since repair services are one of the expense types for AggieTravel report type 9 Professional Expenses, how do we ensure general liability is in place when a repair is done on-site?
- The proper way to ensure general liability (and other terms and conditions of a purchase) is to follow the appropriate repair order process, by completing the Requisition document in KFS. There is no assurance of liability protection when an employee pays out of pocket for a repair expense.
- Does this process mean the university endorses out of pocket purchases?
- No. Purchasing at UC Davis must follow proper procedure and systems, which includes AggieBuy, Procurement Card, and KFS Purchase Orders. Any out of pocket purchasing of professional expenses is an exception to policy. Reporting these reimbursements through AggieTravel helps to track and remedy occurrences of non-compliant purchasing.