We offer the following tips in preparing and correctly labeling your boxes for long term storage.
Preparing Your Boxes
Above all, keep in mind that you want the boxes organized so that you can request the correct box and quickly get to the information you need, when you need it.
- Use standard record storage boxes only (12" x 10" x 15"). Please note that storage of non-standard boxes is only available by special arrangement; additional fees may apply. Please contact us for more information.
- Limit the contents of any box to a single record series, and identical retention periods. (Example: personnel records should not be in the same box as financial records. Financial records with a 7 year retention period should not be intermixed with those requiring a 5 year retention period.
- For your safety and ours, please do not over pack boxes. No box should exceed 50 pounds.
- At a minimum, each box must be labeled with the box title, department name, and proposed destruction date. See below for more information, including a label template.
If you are planning on storing confidential records, please review our guidelines for these specific documents.
Sourcing Empty Boxes:
- New boxes available for purchase through AggieBuy.
- We will occasionally have used boxes available at no charge, subject to availability. If you are interested in using these pre-owned boxes, please contact us to check for availability.
Every box in the storage program must have its own label. At a minimum, the label must contain the following information:
- Box Title
- Box Number*
- Department Name
- Proposed Destruction Date (if applicable)
*Note: Please use a unique number.